Focus on the positives

"Well that could have gone better" Aarki is fairly certain of this. He looks across at the Goblin and then at Flynx... and then back at the goblin.

"Lets focus on the positives, rat man is still alive", Aarki's eyes narrow as the gears of his mind churn into motion - it takes the gears a while to get going as he rarely uses them to this extent - "the town still thinks we are heroes..." - Aarki nods to himself - "the cauldron will help to feed the people" - so far, so good - 

"I killed my friend and we made an enemy of a big boss" - There it was... that was the part that could have gone better. 

"Not so very long ago we had a good deal to that would have been great for everyone and I would have had a new friend, maybe even someone who understood me. But that Goblin, he thinks he is so clever and just acts without thinking at all. I guess it's because he's just a baby still, but that's no excuse! I never caused so many problems when I was a baby" Aarki watches the Goblin talking at Flynx.

"I suppose the Goblin didn't have much chance in life... his dad died from not listening to Garrett and his mum was killed by the townspeople for being a troublemaker... so there's a family history of not being clever...", Aarki tilts his head to the side and stares at the Goblin. "It's a miracle he even learned to talk".

"It would be cruel to abandon a baby Goblin out here in the tundra, I suppose Flynx and I will have to take care of it and teach it to behave. I guess Flynx will have to be its mother now and I will have to teach it how to be a man... I wonder when I should give him his first axe..."

---

Life was much easier in the Fading City, always plenty of food, always clear instructions. "Guard this wall", "Guard that wall", everyone knew what to do. There was none of this "Walk into the endless tundra until you find a rock that's calling to you" nonsense. No one ever stood around chatting with monsters just below them, the whole point of guarding the walls was to tell people where the monsters were and then kill the monsters. That crazy wizard could learn a thing or two from me and the team, how about "Hey, did you see the giant lizard thing with big sharp teeth yet? Maybe we can kill it and then have a chat", but no... nearly lost poor rat man.

Then after all that, turns out it wasn't the right rock and now the Goblin looks rather lost. I expect he misses his mother.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cauldron of Hope

The Beginnings : A Journey Through Frost and Peril

Chilly nights